Italian food is known as one of the best and most popular kitchens all over the world. And let`s be serious what would we do without pizza, pasta and co? Same goes for risotto. I mean is there any more creamier and delicious way to prepare rice? Ok to be honest this Italian rice dish requires some considerable handwork and attention during it`s preparation, if you want to get that smooth texture. But believe me it`s highly recommendable, everybody will love your risotto. So don`t lose your patience and constantly keep stirring.
By nature risotto is a very versatile dish that can be paired up with all kind of different ingredients, like seafood, meat, fish or a big variety of vegetables. Today we are going for a green appearance by adding green beans and leek. Leek is a vegetable that is perfect to use in your kitchen throughout the whole year, as it is locally available during all seasons.
Please note to use special risotto rice, so called short-grain rice like “Vialone”, “Arborio” or “Carnaroli”. On contrary to perfume or basmati rice you should not wash risotto rice if you want to get a creamy result.
Ingredients (for 2 servings):
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, extra virgin
- 1 organic shallot, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 organic garlic clove, peeled and finely chopped
- 100g organic short-grain rice (risotto rice)
- 50ml vegan or regular white wine
- 500ml vegan vegetable broth, already heated
- 1 1/2 handful frozen organic green beans, if very long halved
- 1 organic leek, rinsed off and sliced
- 20g freshly grated Parmesan cheese*
- salt and freshly grounded black pepper to taste
- heat the olive oil in a pan
- add the onions and garlic and braise for 1 minute
- add the risotto rice and braise for another minute
- deglaze by adding the white wine and cook on middle heat until reduced
- season with salt and black pepper
- add the hot vegetable broth step by step whilst stirring constantly until your risotto gets a smooth consistency and the rice grains are still “al dente”
- in the meantime you can heat water in a pan and boil the green beans for about 2 to 3 minutes (they should still be a little bit firm as they are going to be cooked with the risotto), then pour off the water
- add the green beans and the leek 3 minutes before the risotto is done and mix well by stirring
- add the grated Parmesan cheese and mix
* If you are vegan you can substitute the Parmesan cheese by vegan cheese or just leave it out completely.
It is quite possible you will need less or more broth depending on the consistency of your risotto, so make sure to prepare enough in advance. Also is quite difficult to predict the time it will take to prepare this dish, you should calculate 20 up to 40 minutes.
Now tell me what are your favorite ingredients to pair up with risotto?
Read you soon,