Chicken, being white meat, is the healthier choice in comparison to beef and pork, which are considered as red meat. The latter one should only be consumed in restricted amounts, like maximum one or two days a week. This is not the case with white meat, which up to now is not associated with elevated risk of colon cancer. Besides that it has a lower fat content than red meat. So if you want to eat meat is definitely safer and healthier to go for chicken, turkey and other white meats. Due to CO2 pollution and other environmental factors is still recommendable to even reduce your white meat consumption to one or two days per week. Considering animal farming, polluting and treatment with chemicals, is definitely a must to go for organic chickens from a local farmer. But enough of commodity economics and ecology for now.
If you like your chicken to be very juicy and crispy go for parts that still have the skin on, as the chicken drumsticks used in this recipe. Those pieces provide more fat than for example chicken breasts which are missing the skin. If you are on a diet or trying to reduce your fat intake just substitute the drumsticks for a part without skin. Just note that cooking time will be different, as you don`t want your chicken to be dry.
Instead of pairing your chicken drumsticks with french fries, go for oven roasted vegetables. Not only are they healthier, but the process of roasting in the oven by the way fully develops the flavors of your vegetables and provides them with a delicate smoked taste. As summer is almost knocking on our doors this recipe goes for a Mediterranean twist using eggplants and tomatoes. However you can use whatever veggies you prefer, just once again keep in mind the different baking time of your chosen vegetables.
Ingredients (for 2 servings):
- 5 organic chicken drumsticks, rinsed off
- 2 organic red onions, peeled and cut into quarters
- 1 to 2 branches fresh organic rosemary, leaves picked off
- 1 to 2 branches fresh organic thyme, leaves picked off
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- salt and freshly grounded black pepper to taste
- baking sheet 45x40cm
- 1 big organic eggplant, rinsed off and sliced (medium thickness)
- 2 regular sized organic tomatoes, rinsed off and sliced or quartered
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- put chicken drumsticks, red onions, rosemary and thyme into a big bowl
- add olive oil, salt and black pepper and mix well everything
- let soak in the fridge for 1 hour
- preheat the oven at 180° Celsius
- lay out baking sheet with tinfoil and place eggplant slices onto baking parchment
- add chicken drumsticks and onions
- drizzle balsamic vinegar over the chicken
- bake for 25 minutes at 180° Celsius on the middle rack
- take out the baking sheet, turn the chicken drumsticks and add the tomatoes now
- also check if the eggplant slices are already done, if yes take them out and keep warm
- bake the chicken and the tomatoes for 20 to 25 more minutes, if the eggplants were not yet ready bake them for 10 more minutes, take them out and keep them warm
- before serving check if the chicken is completely done, there shoulnd`t be anymore red meat
What veggies do you like to roast in the oven? Please share your ideas and adaptions of this recipe.
Read you soon,