Want something easy to make without a lot of mise-en-place and preparation? Or are you looking for a way to use yesterday`s leftovers? Then you should absolutely go for a casserole. This dish works with almost every ingredient and there are tons of possible combinations. Like that nobody in the family gets bored, as well as there will be no hungry stomachs. Are you living in a single houshold? Perfect, because you can prepare a casserole and you will have enough food up to two or even three days. Anyone needs more convincing? Ok got one more reason up my sleaves; casseroles are low price dishes!
Todays casserole is on the heavier side with a traditional touch. The title already says it all, the main ingredients are sausages and spaetzle, both very common to my country. Topped of with a lot of cheese, because cheese is what Switzerland is known for and because cheese makes life so much better! Try it and you will see the creamy texture and the cheesy and hearty flavor will make this one of your favorite casseroles ever.
Check out the recipe instructions down below and read you soon,
Ingredients (for one casserole dish:
- 1/2 onion, finely chopped
- 400g spaetzle
- 2 sausages (calf or chicken), sliced
- 180g sour cream
- salt and black pepper
- 100g grated swiss cheese
- preheat the oven at 180° Celsius
- add chopped onions, spaetzle and sausage slices to a casserole dish
- add sour cream, salt and black pepper
- mix everything very well
- cover with grated swiss cheese
- put the casserole in the oven and bake for 30 up to 40 minutes, depending if you want a browned cheese crust or not