Since back to my childhood Sunday breakfasts are a small ritual for our family. After sleeping in, we all got together at the table and had an abundant brunch. That day breakfast replaced lunch. Nowadays my husband and I eat lunch on Sundays sometimes, but still we try, whenerver possible, to create some special breakfast. So today we once again went for waffles as my hubby loves them so so much.
Cinnamon and apples belong to the cold season if you ask me, thus I decided to go for cinnamon flavored apples in combination with some freshly made apple sauce. To top it all I added frozen blueberries and persimmon cut into stars. There you got your perfect gluttony Sunday breakfast. On my opinion the waffles were a little bit too subtle on the cinnamon flavor, but together with the slighlty sour apple sauce this was perfectly fine. Regardless next time I would probably add one more teaspoon of cinnamon powder. If you follow this blog you might already know that we are cutting back on sugar right now, so we only used a small amount of maple syrup to sweeten the waffles. If you like it more on the sweeter side, I advise you to add one or two tablespoons to the amount of maple syrup used in this recipe. Overall these waffles turned out very delicious and are highly recommendable.
Ingredients (for 2 Persons):
- 25g margarine
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 eggs
- 180g soy yogurt
- 1 pinch of salt
- 2 teaspoon cinnamon powder
- 150g white flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 150g sour apples
- 1 tablespoons lemon juice
- 5 tablespoons water
- 1 persimmon
- 1 handful frozen blueberries
- waffle iron
- Wash, peel, quarter the apples and remove the cores. Subsequently cut them in small pieces
- Pour apples in a pan, add water and lemon juice. Heat until the mixture starts to boil, reduce the heat, cover the pan and let the apples simmer until they are soft.
- In the meantime add margarine to a bowl.
- Add maple syrup, eggs, salt, cinnamon powder and soy yogurt. Mix until well combined.
- Add flour and baking powder step by step and make sure to constantly whisk to prevent caking.
- Preheat the waffle iron and grease it with margarine. As soon as the waffle iron ist hot enough pour 3 tablespoons of your dough mixture onto the iron. Bake until your waffle is golden-brown.
- Repeat step 6 until you finish all the dough.
- Now mash your apples using a blender.
- Rinse off and slice persimmon and cut out stars using a cookie cutter
- Serve according the arrangement you like and sprinkle over the frozen blueberries
Feel free to use other type of flours, like spelt or whole wheat, instead of white flour.
Read you soon,