The two most popular muffin flavors got united today. Both of them are classics and still they didn`t find their way on the blog up until now. Definitely time to post them, don`t you think? First of all because it`s common courtesy and second those little fellows are incredibly luscious. And please no worries! Even the biggest backing grouches amongst you will be able to pull those off. Now the big question is, what makes these chocolate blueberry muffins distinguishable to all the other ones out there? As the blog post title may already suggest, they are completely made without any animal products, thus for vegan. And I have another surprise in store for you. Are you ready…? Namely… These muffins don`t contain any refined sugar at all. They are only sweetened with agave and dates syrup. Maybe you guys already know, that I am an absolute newbie in terms of vegan baking and baking without refined sugar. As one might say I am celebrating my première with these chocolate blueberry muffins.
Altogether, I am pretty satisfied with the first result. The muffins have a nice chocolaty flavor. The blueberry aroma is subtle, but definitely present. And most important, they are incredibly moist. Because there is nothing worst than dry muffins. I think you guys can agree with that? What`s to improve about this recipe? In terms of taste and texture, I am proud to say nothing! Although I have to admit, that generally I prefer XXL muffins. Which is why I`ll probably go for a bigger size next time. Secondly, those sweet treats shrunk like old apples after opening the oven door. I suppose this was because of the temperature shock – my dear hubby loves to open the kitchen window all the time and it`s freaking winter – or because I used too much baking powder. Anyway it`s not really affecting the taste of the muffins, just a tiny flaw.
Ingredients (for 12 muffins):
- 85g margarine, vegan
- 1 tablespoon agave syrup, organic
- 2 tablespoons date syrup, organic
- 100g cocoa powder, organic
- 150g spelt flower
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 225g soy yogurt
- 100ml coconut drink, unsweetened
- 100g frozen blueberries, I highly recommend using fresh blueberries when they are in season, but right now they are not, which is why I used frozen ones
- muffin tin
- 12 muffin liners
- Pre-heat the oven at 180 degree Celsius (convection).
- Pour all the ingredients into a big bowl and mix until you got a homogenous texture.
- Place your liners in the muffin tin.
- Evenly distribute your muffin mixture amongst all the liners.
- Bake your muffins on the middle rack of your oven for about 40 up to 45 minutes.
Kids, as well as adults, will love these muffins. On top of that, they are not overpowered by sweetness, as they don`t contain any sugar at all. So definitely no bad conscience about devouring these little treats. Exceedingly practical is the fact, that you can prepare them within a short amount of time, maybe even while you’re doing something else aside. I was cooking dinner and baking muffins at the same time. I think you got plenty of reasons why should give these beauties a try.
Read you soon,