Easy, fast and totally uncomplicated! These vegan puff pastry cream cheese twists with wild leek stand for all that. Like that your Easter brunch or aperitif goes off without a hitch. You’ll only need four ingredients for these savory puff pastry twists. The wild leek spread with cream cheese is also vegan and super easy to prepare at home. All you need is vegan puff pastry, fresh wild leek, chives and vegan yogurt of your choice. Absolutely nothing can go wrong! Ready? Then let’s get started!Jump to Recipe Print Recipe
The simplest recipes without a lot of fuss, are the ones that often taste the best. And let’s face it, we often have enough stress preparing for an Easter brunch or aperitif. Simple recipes like these are often just what we need.
And just as an aside, we have a reason to combine two of our absolute favorite ingredients. A) Vegan puff pastry, because who can resist it? I think the only person I know who doesn’t like puff pastry is my husband…. And b) our absolute spring favorite wild leek. In March and April, there is no way around the aromatic garlicy herb.
Such hearty puff pastry sticks are not only beautiful to look at and enhance your Easter brunch or aperitif in no time. But they are also totally simple and prepared in no time. And if unforeseen guests stand before your door, these puff pastry twists can be prepared easy peasy with bought vegan cream cheese. Alternatively, a pesto filling is a good option if that’s more your thing. or you just bake these pesto or hummus pinwheels right away. Pssst…. Both are also allowed, of course.
I did not make the vegan puff pastry myself for this recipe. Who has time and desire, of course, can do this. But honestly, if there’s one thing I advocate, it’s store-bought puff pastry. It keeps its promise! In addition, most supermarkets today have vegan puff pastry, which consists of few ingredients.
For the wild leek spread you only need 4 ingredients, namely fresh wild leek, chives, salt and a cup of vegan yogurt of your choice. Depending on your choice of yogurt, the homemade wild leek cream cheese may have a slightly different consistency. I used this yogurt for that. Vegan curd or skyr is also very suitable for the wild leek cream cheese and gives it a slightly firmer consistency. The chives, of course, can be omitted or replaced with other herbs. Personally, however, I find that chives and wild leek harmonize very well with each other.
Of course, there are no limits to your imagination. Alternatively, you can bake these vegan puff pastry cream cheese twists with pesto, a feta and spinach or vegan cheese filling. Puff pastry pizza sticks are also possible. Or you can go for a sweet version, for example with a chocolate nougat filling.
For the homemade wild leek spread with cream cheese, you should actually allow a little time. The spread is made from vegan yogurt. However, in order for the spread to have the right consistency, the liquid components of the yogurt must be separated. This is easily done by mixing the vegan yogurt with salt, placing it in a muslin cloth and letting it hang in a bowl in the refrigerator – preferably overnight. This allows the liquid in the yogurt to drip off and the wild leek spread becomes not only nice and creamy, but also much firmer in consistency.
The final amount of yogurt for the spread can vary, as can the consistency depending on the brand of yogurt used. However, the difference should not be huge. It is recommended to use a soy yogurt. I have not tested the recipe with other alternatives.
If you like to have the twists on the table in no time, I recommend the following; Buy a vegan cream cheese in the supermarket and place it in your food cutter along with the wild garlic leaves and chives. In two minutes you have your own wild leek spread.
For a beautiful final result, be sure to process the puff pastry as cold as possible. It is best to remove from the refrigerator just before processing. When twisting the puff pastry, I recommend grabbing them at both ends and twisting them at the same time.
If you like, brush the sticks with a little soy milk for a nice browned end result and sprinkle some sesame or hemp seeds on top.
Vegan Puff Pastry Cream Cheese Twists with Wild Leek
- 1 salad bowl
- 1 strainer, large
- 1 gauze or gauze cloth
- 1 Food Cutter
- 1 dough scraper
- 1 pizza cutter or ravioli wheel*
- 1 baking tray, large
- baking paper
- 1 silicone brush
Wild Leek Spread
- 500 g soy yogurt
- 1 tsp salt
- 50 g wild leek, fresh
- 20 g chives, fresh
- salt to taste*
Puff Pastry Twists
- 200 g cream cheese, vegan*
- 1 pack puff pastry, vegan approx. 270g
- 2-3 tbsp soy milk
- Line large strainer with a muslin or gauze cloth and hang over a bowl.
- Mix soy yogurt with salt and pour into the strainer. Place strainer with bowl in refrigerator for at least 12 hours* to allow liquid in yogurt to drain. Stir the yogurt from time to time.
- Wash and drain the wild leek and chives. Roughly chop and finely mince in a food cutter.
- Remove the bowl of “formerly” yogurt from the refrigerator. The yogurt in the strainer now has a cream cheese-like consistency. Now mix the cream cheese with the herbs and add more salt if needed.* The drained liquid can be drunk or used for smoothies.
- Preheat oven to 180° Celsius.
- Remove puff pastry from refrigerator, roll out and spread wild leek cream cheese on one half of the puff pastry with a scraper.
- Fold the other half of the puff pastry over the spread one and press the edges well.
- Cut the puff pastry into even strips using a pizza or ravioli cutter.
- Grasp the puff pastry strips on both sides with your hands and twist them. Place each strip on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Brush the puff pastry twists with soy milk and bake in the center of the oven for 15-20 minutes until golden brown in color*. Let cool completely in the open oven.
- Enjoy the puff pastry twists plain or with a dip*.