Let`s talk about the most important meal of the day, item breakfast. During my teenage years the only thing I needed in the morning was a can of Red Bull to-go. After ditching that addiction, I replaced the Red Bull with coffee. And that was it in terms of brekkie….The End…
Just kidding guys! Of course I haven`t even started yet. The last sentence of the above paragraph is meant to show you the mantra I was living by the last 15 years. And now let me tell you the following; it`s never too late to let go of bad habits or to change things to a better! Being 31 years old is when I discovered my mom had been right all those years, telling me: “Sarah, you know breakfast is the most important meal of the day, right?”. No idea if this maybe is a growing kind of old thing….
At any rate my mom`s statement – probably not only her`s but also the one of half the mothers on planet earth – is a given fact. Every new morning is the start of a new day, whereupon we need to prepare our body and soul by having breakfast. After all it`s very important, that we are going to have enough energy to overcome the day. And same like a car needs gasoline, we as well need to tank up on fuel, especially in the morning.
Beforehand I have to set something straight. If I`m talking about breakfast, I don`t mean the bowl of your favorite sugary corn flakes or a slice of bread smeared with Nutella, nothing against Nutella though *lol*. Talking breakfast means real breakfast, which actually stands for a healthy and balanced meal, fully packed with lots of fibers, nutrients, minerals and vitamines.
According to this, I have a recipe in store today, that fulfills all those requirements. Namely a yummy breakfast bowl with couscous and fruits coming in all the colors of the rainbow. You can read in this blog post, why it is important to eat the rainbow. Just in case you don`t like couscous, you can choose porridge, buckwheat, homemade Granola or oatmeal. The latter one actually is an amazing source for iron, which especially is important for all of those following a vegan diet.
Ingredients (for 2 bowls):
- 150g couscous
- 200ml boiling water
- 300g coconut soy yogurt, if possible without any additional sugar
- 1 yellow kiwi, organic
- 30g Physalis
- 30g strawberries, frozen
- 30g raspberries, frozen
- 30g redglobe grapes
- 30g blueberries, frozen
- 30g green apples
- Pour the boiling hot water over your couscous, cover and let soak for 5 up to 10 minutes. You can prepare all your fruits in the meantime.
- Rinse off all the fresh fruits, minus the frozen ones.
- Cut the kiwi into two star-shaped pieces, you can find tutorials on YouTube. You can eat the kiwi with the peel, which is actually quite healthy, as long as it`s an organic one and you rinsed it off before.
- Cut all the other fruits into pieces.
- Spread soy yogurt on the bottom of a bowl and distribute couscous on top of it.
- Now you can arrange your rainbow fruits on top of the couscous.
This bowl was prepared within 15 minutes and absolutely delicious in taste. Sweet but not too sweet. And there`s an additional plus, namely you already ate all the colors of the rainbow in just one sitting.
Read you soon,