This blog post also is available in German.
Breakfast and dessert in one, doesn’t that sound great? I have a recipe just like this for you today. You can serve this crisp to your guests as dessert and enjoy the leftovers the next morning with a cup of coffee for breakfast. Such recipes are worth their weight in gold! They are not only time-saving, but also simplify the weekly menu planning. And I’ll tell you the most important reason in the following lines.
What is a Crisp
A crisp is a fruit dessert originally from America consisting of two layers. A lower layer of fresh fruit and a crispy upper layer made of flour, butter, sugar and oatmeal. Hence the name Crisp. In its composition and appearance, the crisp can be compared to a crumble cake. An important difference, however, is the addition of oats in the top layer. This is exactly what makes it the perfect tasty breakfast, from my point of view.
Like the crumble cake, the Crisp is an ingenious sweet miracle, perfect for fruit leftovers. So in case you have any fruit lying around in the fridge that you want to use up quickly before it gets bad, conjure up this crisp. Most fruits are suitable for further processing into a crisp. So there are no limits to your imagination. It tastes best though if you use seasonal fruits.
The stars of this recipe are fresh strawberries and rhubarb. On the one hand because this is the best combination ever, on the other hand because I just had so much rhubarb in the fridge. The result is a fusion of sweet and sour, super juicy at the bottom and crispy at the top.
So you should definitely include this crisp in your list of leftover & low waste recipes. Served with vanilla ice cream, it’s the perfect dessert and in the next morning just warm it up in the oven and enjoy it with a cup of coffee or tea.
I`ll share the recipe in a second but I still have a small request. I would mean the world to me if you would leave me a comment here on this page and subscribe to my newsletter. By subscribing to the newsletter you will receive exclusive tips and freebies on a regular basis.
See you soon,
Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp
- 400 g strawberries organic
- 400 g Rhubarb organic
- 2 tbsp Aceto Balsamico organic
- 2 tbsp xylitol organic
- 2 tbsp potato starch organic
- 75 g wholemeal flour organic
- 75 g oats organic
- 1 tsp Bourbon Vanilla Powder
- 1 pinch of ground cinnamon organic
- 50 g xylitol organic
- 1 pinch of salt organic
- 45 g coarsely chopped hazelnuts organic
- 125 g vegan margarine organic
- Preheat the oven to 180° Celsius.
- Rinse strawberries and rhubarb under running water, drain and cut into small pieces.
- Put the fruits in a bowl, add balsamic vinegar, xylitol and starch and mix well.
- Pour the fruit mixture into an ovenproof dish.
- Mix the remaining dry ingredients in a bowl.
- Add the margarine and knead well by hand.
- Spread the mixture over the fruits so that everything is well covered.
- Put the casserole dish in the oven and bake for 40 minutes. The fruit should simmer on the side and the top should turn golden brown and crispy.