This blog post also is available in German.
Today is the first advent, we set up our Christmas tree, drank a few cups of mulled wine and lit the first candle of our advent wreath. I guess we can`t deny it, Christmas spirit found it`s way in into our home. What about you? Did you already bring out all the decoration? What about Christmas cookies?
We heated up the oven and started baking our first cookies for Christmas. Although they probably will be eaten before the Holidays anyway – kind of like every year -but that at least gives you a good reason to make more. There`s one type of cookie that is a staple in our household during the advent time, namely these vegan Swiss Spitzbuben cookies, or Swiss jam filled cookies, as you might want to call them. Ever heard about them? They are basically jam between two cookies and literally the best cookies ever!
OK, I might be biased as they are my all time favorite cookies ever. So of course I had to make a vegan version for you. By the way vegan Swiss Spitzbuben cookies are super easy to make, the don`t require a lot of equipement, time or baking skills. All you need in terms of material is a round cookie cutter and a smaller one that has a heart, star or any other shape you like. If you don`t have a round cookie cutter you might even use a jar or a wine glass to cut out circles.
When getting ready for making the cookies, please remember two things; you have to chill the dough for one hour, so calculate that time in and don`t forget the jam. As these cookies need a lot if it. But honestly, you can use every jam you like, they all work and taste delicious. I used strawberry this time. If you are not a big jam fan, why not using another spread you like. Maybe vegan nutella? Get creative and experiment!
For this blog post I also experimented with a glutenfree version with blackberry jam, but the dough didn`t quite turned out as expected. So I got my task for next year. But now let`s move on to the vegan recipe for these Spitzbuben.
Read you soon,
Vegan Spitzbuben Cookies
- 125 g vegan margarine organic
- 80 g confectioners sugar organic
- 1 tsp ground vanilla
- 1 tbsp maca powder organic
- 1 tsp baking powder or tapioka starch organic
- a dash of ground cinnamon organic
- a dash of salt organic
- 200 g wheat flour or light spelt flour organic
- oat milk organic
- 1 glass raspberry or strawberry jam
- confectioner`s sugar organic
- Mix margarine and xylitol in a bowl using a kitchen machine until you got a smooth mixture.
- Add vanilla, maca, baking powder, cinnamon, salt & flour. Mix again using the kitchen machine until you got a mixture with a sand-alike texture.
- Add plantbased milk spoon by spoon in case the dough is too dry and doesn`t stick together.
- Wrap the dough in clingfilm and put in the fridge for one hour.
- Preheat the oven at 180° celsius.
- Sprinkle some flour on a flat surface and thinly roll out the dough. Add more flour in case it sticks to the surface. Cut out the Spitzbuben using a round cookie cutter. Cut out a star or heart or whatever shape you are using on half of the cut out cookies.
- Place all of the cookies on a baking sheet layed out with parchment paper, put them in the oven and bake them for 7 up to 10 minutes. Take them out of the oven and let the cookies cool down.
- Place a small amount of jam on the cookies without any cut out. These are going to be the bottom of your Spitzbuben cookies.
- Dust the upper parts of the cookies with a little bit of confectioner`s sugar using a small sieve. Place the cookie with the cut out on top of the jam and slighlty press it on.