Do you know the feeling when you finally manage to try something out you have planned for so long? It`s sort of relieve mixed with excitement and satisfaction. Exactly the cocktail of feelings I was experimenting after creating these burgers. They have been on my to-do list for so long and I almost believed I wouldn`t manage to making them before summer ends… Luckily I did and what should I say? Although making burgers from scratch, meaning making the buns yourself, can be time-consuming, it was worth every single minute. These literally were the best vegan burgers I`ve ever had! And I`m going so far to assert that even a meat eating person will fall in love with this burger!
Talking jackfruit I have to admit, that I am not the most experienced person, as it was my first time dealing with this fruit. I was lucky to find them already processed into a pulled meat alike texture, when I was strolling through one of the local organic stores. I used the jackfruit from Govinda (not sponsored, bought it myself) and it was really delicious. Still I think, next time I will try stopping by an Asian Shop. They`ll probably have the fruit pickled in glasses or cans.
In case you`re still hesitating to give these burgers a try because they are made out of a fruit, I can assure you, you won`t taste any sweetness at all. With the right spices and sauce this just tastes nothing sweet-alike!
Ready for a burger party? Here`s the recipe….
Read you soon,
Pulled Jackfruit Burger
- 500 g white wheat flour organic
- 42 g yeast organic
- 1 tsp salt
- 300 ml water lukewarm
- 4 tbsp hemp seeds organic
- 1 onion organic
- 2 garlic cloves organic
- 1 tbsp avocado oil organic
- 1 tsp paprika powder
- 1 dried peperoncino organic
- 1 tsp spice mixture for meat
- 200 g jackfruit pulled, organic, spice mixture included
- 5 tbsp bbq sauce vegan
- 1/2 tsp black pepper organic
- 1 kg potatoes waxy, organic
- 3 tbsp canola oil organic
- 1 tbsp Sonnentor Erdäpfelgewürz
- 1 tsp salt
- 4 tbsp mayonnaise vegan
- 100 g spinach organic
- 2 avocados organic
- 1 bunch cilantro organic
- Mix flour and salt together.
- Dissolve yeast in lukewarm water and pour over flour. Mix and knead until you got a smooth elastic dough. Lay dough in a bowl, cover with a kitchen towel and let raise for 1 and a half hour.
- Divide dough into 4 parts. Form a round bun out of every single part. Place buns on a bakingsheet layed out with parchment paper. Let the buns raise for another 30 minutes. Preheat oven at 200° Celsius in the meantime.
- Baste top of the buns with a little bit of water and sprinkle on the hemp seeds. Put buns in the oven and bake for 40 minutes.
- Rinse off and peel the potatoes. Cut them into wedges.
- Fill a bowl with water and place the potato wedges into the bowl for 30 minutes. You can do this step while the dough for the buns is raising.
- Drain off the water, pour canola oil, salt and potato spice over the potatoes. Mix well until all the wedges are covered with oil and spice.
- Pour the wedges on a baking sheet layed out with with parchment paper and bake them in the oven for 40 minutes at 220° Celsius. You can bake them right after the buns.
- Peel and finely chop the onion. You can start preparing the jackfruit whilst the wedges are in the oven.
- Peel and press the garlic cloves. Rinse off dried peperoncino and slice it.
- Heat avocado oil in a pan. Add chopped onions and cook them until the turn translucent. Then add pressed garlic, paprika powder, sliced peperoncino and meat spice. Cook for another minute and make sure everything is covered evenly with the spices.
- Add pulled jackfruit and spice mixture that came withtin the package (if you don`t have a spice mixture, just leave it).
- Add bbq sauce and black pepper. Continui cooking for another ten minutes until the sauce and the jackfruit are combined to a sticky mixture.
Preparing the Burgers
- Cut cooled down burger buns into halves. Spread some mayonnaise on both inner sides of the buns.
- Lay out the lower part of the buns with spinach and place some of the pulled jackfruit on top of it. Next add half of an avocado cut into slices, top of with fresh cilantro leaves and put the upper part of the bun on the burger.